Posts Tagged ‘jamvox’
These days getting your guitar sound into a PC or laptop has become easier and relatively cheap.
For upwards of £40 you can plug your guitar directly into your DAW of choice – record, edit and process or just jam along with your favourite tracks.
Most devices come with great software and there’s a great deal of freeware available if you know where to look.
Some devices are straight guitar to pc/laptop such as the IK Multimedia Stealth and Guitar Rig Mobile.
Some devices come with speakers and allow you to turn your laptop into a mini amplifier/fx unit such as the Vox JamVOX.
Then there are the M-Audio Fast Track type devices that are both portable but flexible enough to allow you to connect up a microphone as well.
It all depends on what it is you intend to do, do you want to just plug your guitar in and enjoy playing around with guitar effects? Then make sure the interface you’re looking at comes with standalone software and not just VST based.
Do you want to be able to record – does the device come with recording software as well as VST fx?
So ok it’s not a must but even an uncrippled shareware like Reaper will need to be paid for eventually.
Weigh up the pros and cons of each device you look at.
Check out harmony central – it’s a great site for guitar reviews, totally user based and of immense help.
Take a squizz in some of the forums knoocking around – weigh up each aspect of the device before you part with your cash.
Below are some of my picks of what’s available,
How cool is this? I mean it even looks cool doesn’t it?
‘The JamVOX, is an integrated monitor and software system that extracts the guitar from any MP3 and plugs you into the mix of their favorite bands.’ – I can see this being very useful cfor some guitarists although I am sceptical as to how effective it would be.
‘JamVOX gives guitarists instant access to dozens of legendary amps and effects all in one easy to use drag and drop software interface.’ – Now that’s the interesing part of this for under £150 you’ve got a USB guitar interface and a monitor plus software.
‘Alternatively, you can extract or isolate the guitar part, slow down the tempo, and practice any style of music without changing the pitch.’ – Again I am sceptical to the software but if you add up the interface, the monitor and the effects software then it’s a pretty hot deal.
So um yes it got added to my never ending wishlist.
Gonna need a bigger boat methinks…
Vox JamVox Jam & Practice Tool for Guitar JamVOX gives guitarists instant access to dozens of legendary amps and effects all in one easy to use “drag and drop” software interface. Revolutionary Guitar XTracktion (GXT) technology lets you remove the guitar part of your favorite song with the push of a button. Best of all, you can then take the lead yourself with instant rock star tone! Alternatively, you can extract or isolate the guitar part, slow down the tempo, and practice any style of music without changing the pitch.
- Revolutionary new GXT (Guitar XTracktion) function lets you cancel or extract the guitar part of an existing song.
- 19 famous guitar amps and 54 effect units ranging from vintage to modern are provided as software.
- Easy-to-use “drag and drop” interface enables guitarists to create their “dream guitar rig” without any advanced knowledge of amps or effects. Sound famous fast!
- A music player feature with convenient functions for jam sessions or practice.
- Import music files to jam along with from your favorite CDs, music library or MP3 player.
- A dedicated USB monitor speaker is included, and there’s no need for complex wiring or specialized knowledge of computer music.
- Two guitar play-along CDs containing 28 famous rock classics.
Guitar Amp Modeling Software and 2-in/2-out USB Audio Interface and Monitor with 19 Guitar Amplifier Models, 54 Effect Models, and Guitar XTracktion
JamVOX – an integrated monitor and software system that extracts the guitar from any MP3 and plugs you into the mix of their favorite bands.
JamVOX fulfills the dream of any guitarist who has ever wanted to ‘take the lead’ and play along with his favorite guitar heroes or band. JamVOX is the result of a collaboration between VOX Amplification guitar amplification and modeling engineers and a team of KORG electronic musical instrument and PC software developers. Simple three-step operation allows anyone to play the guitar in their favorite song by their favorite band.
- Step 1) Connect the dedicated USB monitor speaker to your computer and plug in your guitar: the JamVOX software will start up automatically.
- Step 2) In the music player, select the song you wish to play.
- Step 3) Set your favorite tone and play your guitar while listening to the song play back. Press the GXT button on screen and take the lead! You can press the Record button to record your guitar performance along with the song.